Associate Professor of Food Science and Technology
Ph.D., Food Science, University of Piemonte Orientale A. Avogadro, Italy
M.S., Chemistry & Pharmaceutical Technology, University of Piemonte Orientale A. Avogadro, Italy
Dr. Barile’s research program focuses on milk functional glycomics. Her particular research interests are in combining an understanding of the chemical and biological properties of food components with analytics and engineering to characterize, bioseparate and biointegrate bioactive compounds in foods. In connection with this aim, her research spans three distinct but intersecting topics: i) analytical discovery of complex carbohydrates and peptides by advanced Mass Spectrometry, ii) development of efficient separation systems to isolate the identified carbohydrates in foods and food by-products, and iii) elucidation of the specific interaction of the carbohydrates with the human body and demonstrate the health benefits. In addition to analytical platform at her lab, Barile has also access to the food-grade pilot-scale filtration equipment in the Milk Process Research Lab (MPRL) to generate new bioactive fractions for functional studies to support the translation of these molecules as selective prebiotics. Research in the laboratory also embraces the characterization of glycosylated bioactive components in industrial by-products to enhance commodity agriculture, food processing and develop unique functional ingredients.
- Barile, D., N. Tao, C. B. Lebrilla, J. D. Coisson, M. Arlorio, and J. B. German. 2009. Permeate from cheese whey ultrafiltration is a source of milk oligosaccharides. International Dairy Journal 19:524-530.
- Zivkovic, A. and D. Barile. 2011. Bovine milk as a source of functional oligosaccharides for improving human health. Advances in Nutrition 2:284-289.
- Bordiga, M., F. Travaglia, M. Meyrand, J. B. German, C. B. Lebrilla, J. D. Coïsson, and Arlorio, and D. Barile. 2012. Identification and characterization of complex bioactive oligosaccharides in white and red wine by a combination of mass spectrometry and gas chromatography. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 60:3700-3707.
- Barile D., R. Rastall. 2013. Human milk and related oligosaccharides as prebiotics. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 24:214-219.
- Le Parc A., D.C Dallas, S. Duaut, J. Leonil, P. Martin , D. Barile. 2014. Characterization of goat milk lactoferrin N-glycans and comparison with the N-glycomes of human and bovine milk. Electrophoresis 35 (11), 1560-1570.
- Domizio, P., Y. Liu, L. Bisson, D. Barile. 2014. Use of non-Saccharomyces wine yeast as novel sources of mannoproteins in wine. Food Microbiology 43 (2014) 5-15.
- D. Dallas, C. Smink, R. Robinson., T. Tian , A. Guerrero , E. Parker , J. Smilowitz, K. Hettinga, M. Underwood, C.B. Lebrilla, J.B. German, D. Barile. 2015. Endogenous human milk Peptide release is greater after preterm birth than term birth. American Society for Nutrition, 145(3): 425-433.
- H Lee, VL de MeloSilva, Y Liu, D. Barile. 2015. Quantification of carbohydrates in whey permeate products using high-performance anion-exchange chromatography with pulsed amperometric detection. Journal of Dairy Science, 98(11): 7644-7649.
- Karav, S., Bell, J.M.L.N.D.M., Le Parc, A., Liu, Y., Mills, D.A., Block, D.E., and Barile, D. 2015. Characterizing the release of bioactive N-glycans from dairy products by a novel endo-β-N-acetylglucosaminidase. Biotechnol Progress, 31: 1331–1339.
- Charbonneau, M., O'Donnell, D., Blanton, LV., Totten, SM., Davis, J.C.C., Barratt, M.J., Cheng, J., Guruge, J., Talcott, M., Bain, J.R., Muehlbauer, M.J., Ilkayeva, O., Wu, C., Struckmeyer, T., Barile, D., … Lebrilla, C.B., Mills, D.A., Gordon, JI. 2015. Sialylated Milk Oligosaccharides Promote Microbiota-Dependent Growth in Models of Infant Undernutrition. Cell, 164(5): 859-871.
- Lee, H.; Cuthbertson, D.; Otter, D.; Barile, D. 2016. Rapid Screening of Bovine Milk Oligosaccharides in a Whey Permeate Product and Domestic Animal Milks by Accurate Mass Database and Tandem Mass Spectral Library. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 64(32): 6364-6374.
- Salcedo, J., Frese, S.A. , Mills, D. A., Barile, D. 2016. Characterization of porcine milk oligosaccharides during early lactation and their relation to the fecal microbiome. Journal of Dairy Science, 99(10): 7733-7743.
- Domizio, P., Liu, Y., Bisson, L., Barile, D. 2016. Cell wall polysaccharides released during the alcoholic fermentation by Schizosaccharomyces pombe and S. japonicus: quantification and characterization. Food Microbiology, 61: 136-149.
- DC Dallas, F Citerne, T Tian, VLM Silva, KM Kalanetra, SA Frese, RC Robinson, DA Mills, D. Barile. 2016. Peptidomic analysis reveals proteolytic activity of kefir microorganisms on bovine milk proteins. Food Chemistry, 197: 273–284.
- Sischo W., Short D., Geissler M., Bunyatratchata A., Barile D. 2017. Comparative composition, diversity, and abundance of oligosaccharides in early lactation milk from commercial dairy and beef cows. 100: 1–10.
- Smilowitz, J.T., Lemay, D.G., Kalanetra, K.M., Chin, E.L., Zivkovic, A.M., Breck, M.A., German, J.B., Mills, D.A., Slupsky, C., Barile, D. 2017. Tolerability and safety for the intake of bovine milk oligosaccharides extracted from cheese whey in healthy human adults. Journal of Nutritional Science, 6(doi:10.1017/jns.2017): 1-11.
- Tian, T., Freeman, S., Corey, M., German, J.B., Barile, D. 2017. Chemical Characterization of Potentially Prebiotic Oligosaccharides in Brewed Coffee and Spent Coffee Grounds. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 65(13): 2784–2792.
- de Moura Bell J.L.N., Cohen J., de Aquino L. F. M., Lee H., de Melo Silva V.L., Liu Y, Domizio P., Barile D. 2017. An integrated bioprocess to recover bovine milk oligosaccharides from colostrum whey permeate. Journal of Food Engineering, 216: 27-35.
- Robinson R.C., Poulsen N.A., Barile D. 2018.Multiplexed bovine milk oligosaccharide analysis with aminoxy tandem mass tags. 13(4): e0196513.
For a complete list of publications: https://scholar.google.com/citations/Barile
Awards and Honors
2017: Distinguished Professor: Chancellor Fellow
2014: UC Davis Dean's Team Award for Excellence for Outstanding multi-disciplinary team contributions in the mission area of Research